I’ve been on a sock knitting kick (no pun intended) lately. I made myself 2 pairs of socks in 2 weeks…I should take pictures of those. I have slowed the pace, and haven’t started the third pair for me yet, but took a little break to make that hat I listed, and a pair of socks for Istra. These whipped up in 2 days, because they are toddler socks, and they are made with worsted weight yarn.
I made the little sock blockers out of cardboard. I traced the sock, then I measured the tracing based on her foot measurements. Her foot is 6″ around, so I made sure the blocker was 3″ tall (1/2 the circumference of her foot), then I made sure the length was right, and then I cut out based on the measured lines. Wet the socks, and inserted my little blockers. They blocked perfectly and fit just as they should.
When I was making them, I tried the first one on to be sure of the size. After asking Istra several questions about the fit, and determining that the sock was just as it should be. Istra sat for a moment with the sock on her foot, and then said “Mama, can you make me another sock?” I guess she feared I thought my job was done with just the one.
The microgreens received a light today. I just hung one of my photo lights, with a small CFL bulb above them. It was amazing to see the pale yellowish new leaves turn bright green in only a couple hours. It’s amazing how fast things change with seedlings.
The radishes are far out pacing the broccoli. I guess I did know that would happen, radishes are super fast/efficient little plants. In the garden my dad says it’s best to plant your carrots and radishes in alternating rows. The carrots take a dogs age to come up, but the radishes sprint to the surface making their place, and flanking the carrots so you know where they are until they find their way up. I’m glad I planted them in halves on the tray, and not integrated. I’ll be able to harvest at different times, so it will all be fine.